Let’s talk fruit. Didn’t see that one coming, did you? Mother Nature provides us with so many sweet flavorful gems that can be enjoyed any time of day. These natural wonders come in so many different shapes, sizes, colors and of course, flavors! Dive into this Ambrosia with Coconut and Toasted Pecans for breakfast, dessert or a mid-day snack. Full of fresh melons, apples, citrus and bananas, this ambrosia will leave you satisfied and won’t break your diet.
Ambrosia is a classic Southern delight, but the fresh fruits included in this recipe are a break from the classic recipe. By highlighting the season’s best tasting fruits, the options are endless and allows you to be creative in the kitchen. Taking advantage of the season’s bounty, make sure to choose fruits from the different color groups: light green, dark green, orange, red, purple and yellow. This keeps it interesting while infusing a variety of different nutrients in your diet. Food that tastes as good as it ACTUALLY IS for you! Does it get any better than that?
No matter what season it is, there’s nothing like a fresh fruit salad to make me feel like Summer is on its way! Why make a typical fruit salad when the recipe for this Ambrosia with Coconut and Toasted Pecans is below?! Enjoy!
Ambrosia with Coconut and Toasted Pecans
- 4 cups melon, papaya or pineapple cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 crisp apples cored & diced
- 6 seedless tangerines separated into segments
- 1 banana halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped & toasted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut toasted
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, oranges and sherry. (Ambrosia can be made to this point, 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered.)
- Divide ambrosia between eight chilled serving dishes. Sprinkle pecans and coconut on top just before serving. Garnish with fresh mint. Keeps refrigerated for one day.