Jackfruit is the world’s largest tree fruit, and is often described as “jurassic” for its huge size (ranging from 10-100 lbs!) and intimidating looks. What’s inside, however, is sweet and delicious. In fact, jackfruit’s flavor served as the inspiration for Juicy Fruit gum!
Fun Fact: Jackfruit belongs to the mulberry family and is native to Southern and Southeast Asia.
Common uses for Jackfruit include:
- Vegan Meat Alternative (used as a stand-in for carnitas, pulled pork and other shredded meats)
- Roasted Jackfruit Seeds (rich in protein, potassium, calcium and iron)
- The leaves provide food for goats and other farm animals
- The orange-hued bark was traditionally used as a dye for monk’s robes
- The trees produce a sticky latex-like substance that can be used as glue
Take a look inside!
So, how do you eat this crazy thing?
Before we talk about that, here are some things you will need to extract the edible portion of this fruit:
- Cutting board
- Plastic Wrap (to keep your board from getting sticky)
- Gloves (to keep your hands from getting sticky)
- Oil (to oil your knife so it cuts through the fruit more easily)
- Sharp serrated knife