Seasonal soirees and gatherings with family and friends provide the perfect occasion to whip up a DIY Crostini Bar pre- dinner. DIY food bars allow guests to express their own culinary creativity. Surprise your guests with a fun and interactive display of tasty tidbits.
Bases + spreads + toppings + garnishes = endless possibilities for DIY delectables. Everyone gets to choose their own favorites, or try something new, and mix up a variety of bites based on their level of hunger and food preferences. Small and simple, or bigger is always better, the Crostini Bar will meet and exceed the need for an amuse- bouche (single bite-sized hors d’œuvre) or two before dinner.
Here are some suggestions for an exceptional spread:
Grilled sourdough rounds
Toasted marble rye bread
Gluten free breads & crackers
Daikon or watermelon radish rounds
Lentil Pâté* recipe below
Fresh Turmeric Mayo** recipe below
Compound butter of seasonal herbs/spices
Caramelized onions & shallots
Roasted butternut squash
Roasted veggie sweet peppers
Roasted baby heirloom tomatoes
Balsamic vinegar & extra virgin olive oil
Toasted pine nuts
Fresh cracked pepper
Whatever items you choose for your DIY Crostini Bar, and whether you make them from scratch and/or buy them ready made, all the prep is done ahead of time, leaving just the plating and display to be set up before or when guests first arrive. You can easily edit for a small gathering, or ramp it up for a crowd. Either way you’ll have the perfect, casual and customizable spread for your soiree.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 5 oz. package Melissa’s Dried Porcini Mushrooms (rehydrated)
- 4 Melissa’s Cipolline Onions (peeled and chopped)
- 1 package Melissa’s Steamed Lentils (drained)
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter
- Pinch Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
Fresh Turmeric Mayo
- 1 cup plant-based mayo
- 2 tablespoons Melissa’s Fresh Turmeric (grated)
- 1. Heat olive oil in sauté pan. Add chopped onions and cook until lightly browned.
2. Add mushrooms to onions, stir together, and cook another 5 minutes.
3. Place the lentils plus the onion/mushroom mixture in a blender and pulse until blended. Add one tablespoon of margarine and pulse again. If you want a smoother consistency add the second tablespoon of margarine and pulse again.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon out pate into a small bowl or form into a mound on a platter, garnish with fresh parsley, surround with crackers, baguette slices, or cocktail rye bread, and serve.
Lentil Pate can be served immediately after preparation or it can be chilled before serving. It also makes a delicious sandwich spread.
Fresh Turmeric Mayo
- Blend mayo and turmeric together.