Raise your hand if you’re obsessed with Hatch Chiles? Ok, now raise your if you’re also bored in the kitchen and need a new recipe? GREAT. You’re in the right place. As you very well know if you’re a Hatch Chile super-fan, you can put them on and in literally anything and it amps up the flavor immediately. Relish is no exception to this.
Whip up this Baja Fresh’ Chicken & Hatch Chile Relish recipe by Chef Steven Maak for your family, friends or just treat yourself and let us know what you think. Tag us @melissasproduce on all social media outlets to let us see your creations.
Baja Fresh’ Hatch Chile Relish
Use this relish on any dish to amp up the flavor profile immediately! Sandwiches, chicken dishes, you name it!
- 4 Vine ripe tomatoes ( seeds removed and diced medium )
- 2 Yellow Peppers (cleaned and diced)
- 1 large garlic head (cleaned and minced)
- 4 ears white corn (roasted and cut)
- 1 large white onion (peeled and diced)
- 4 cups Melissa's Hatch Chiles (roasted)
- 32 oz white distilled vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh honey
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp mixed black and white peppercorns
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
In a medium stock pot add prepared garlic and onions with the olive oil sweating the onions and garlic for 3-4 min. Next add the roasted corn sautéing the flavors together for at least 5 min.
Next add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once there's a boil bring temperature down to a medium simmer for 30 min.
After completion push pot to the side and let the relish start to cool down for the canning process (next)
Canning Process – Pressure Cooker
Add all mixed ingredients to your sterilized mason jars 98% full leaving room for pressurised cooking and little air gaps.
Pressure cooker/electronic place in cooker, add 1⁄2 water levels to the jars. (half full) Cover, seal and air tight the unit preparing for canning for a total of 8 min to seal the jars safely.
After cooking is done place in an ice bath getting your temperature down and full sealing of the containers completed.
Canning Process – Stock Pot w/ Lid
In a medium to large stock pot load the jars into the pot stacking two high depending on the size of jars. Next pour water half way to the size of the jar leaving plenty of room with no water.
Then place a lid over the pot and bring to a boil for at least 15-20 min depending on the size of the jars (bigger = longer). Once complete remove and ice bath to 38 degrees for safety
Baja Fresh Chicken and Hatch Chile Relish Torta
- 1 each Fresh Baked Pan Telera (sliced and grilled)
- 2 tbsp Sir Kensington sauce (spread on both pieces of bread)
- 2 pc 2 oz grilled chicken
- 2 slices melted aged cheddar (melt cheddar on chicken)
- 2 pc thick cut pepper bacon (cooked)
- 1 1/2 oz Baja Fresh Hatch Chili Relish (recipe above)
- 2 large slices heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado (sliced)
- red leaf lettuce
After the bread is grilled add the Sir Kensington sauce on both sides of the grilled bread.
Next add grilled chicken with melted cheddar, bacon, red leaf lettuce, avocado, heirloom tomatoes and hatch chile relish.