Sick of the same old pasta salad? Bring a bit of delicious excitement into your life with a bright, flavorful Tomato, Zucchini and Bulgur Wheat Salad from Katie Workman. Katie is no stranger to the kitchen or fresh seasonal ingredients and enjoys creating new recipes with our produce. We always look forward to the magic she makes in the kitchen!
If you are unfamiliar with bulgur wheat, this recipe is the perfect introduction. Bulgur is low in fat, high in minerals like manganese, magnesium and iron, plus it’s a good source of plant-based protein. Bulgur wheat is best enjoyed when its tender, but not mushy, and while this recipe includes a cooking suggestion, following the instructions on your specific package will give you the best, tender result. This flavorful salad is just as flexible as it is tasty. No cherry tomatoes? No problem, diced tomatoes work great! No red onion? No problem, any onion works!
Katie Workman’s Tomato, Zucchini and Bulgur Wheat Salad is perfect for picnics and potlucks but is also the perfect side dish, lunch or healthy snack to keep in the fridge. With a versatile recipe like this in your arsenal, there’s no way to lose.
Katie Workman's Tomato, Zucchini and Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 2 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt plus more to taste
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 small zucchini diced, or 8-10 baby zucchini
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup red onion minced
- 1 cup parsley or half parsley and half other mixed herbs
- 1. Place the bulgur in a medium sized bowl. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, stir in the 1 teaspoon salt, and pour the boiling water over the bulgur and let it sit for 30 minutes, until tender but still with a nice firmness. Drain well in a fine-mesh sieve, and return to the bowl. 2. In a small container add the zet and juice of the orange, olive oil, and pepper. Shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the bulgur and stir to thoroughly combine. 3. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, onion, and parsley to the bulgur and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled.