Just because vegetarians don’t eat meat, it doesn’t mean they can’t indulge in a hearty chili, like meat-eaters do. A Vegetarian Harvest Chili is the perfect comfort dish any time of the year. With ingredients like our beloved Hatch Chiles and convenient Steamed line, this chili will warm your spirit and your taste buds. Simple ingredients create a complex flavor the will knock your socks off.
Have you seen those packages of steamed veggies in your local grocery store? Melissa’s Steamed line consists of a variety of vegetables already prepared, chopped and steamed for quick consumption. If you’re anything like me, you hate prepping and having to chop your own vegetables (especially a butternut squash,) and voila, here comes Melissa’s Steamed Line to the rescue! We’ve done all the hard work and put in the elbow grease for you, so its as simple as opening up the vacuum sealed package and going full speed ahead (putting them into whatever recipe or dish you desire.) With ingredients as simple as this, there’s no going wrong!
Remember when we told you about the versatility of Hatch Chiles? These one of a kind chiles from the Mesilla Valley in Hatch, New Mexico are only available for about a short period of time each year, but when frozen, you can enjoy them year-round. Hatch Chiles take this vegetarian harvest chili to new lengths. Although its vegetarian, even meat-eaters can enjoy this hearty feel-good chili.
Vegetarian Harvest Chili
- 1 half onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or chopped
- 2 stalks celery peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons Hatch chiles frozen or fresh and chopped
- 6 tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 packages Melissa's Steamed Butternut Squash
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 packages Melissa’s Six Bean Medley
- 1 package Melissa's Steamed Lentils
- 1 package Melissa's Steamed Kidney Beans
- Saute onions in knob of butter adding garlic and diced celery 7-8 mins. Add the fresh or frozen hatch chilies, peeled chopped tomatoes, butternut squash and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer 10-15 mins. Add Melissa's Steamed Six Bean Medley, Steamed Lentils and Steamed Kidney Beans, slowly bringing to a boil and seasoning to taste.