Baby Sweet Potato and Bean Soup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz cooked sausage such as kielbasa or smoked chicken sausage (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 lb Melissa’s Fingerling Potatoes (unpeeled, scrubbed, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide slices)
- 1 lb Melissa’s Baby Sweet Potatoes (peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch kale or chard (washed, trimmed, roughly chopped)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans or white beans (drained and rinsed)
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper (to taste)
- pinch dried red chile flakes ((optional))
- small bunch minced fresh Italian parsley (for garnish)
- Line a plate with paper towels and set next to the stove. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add sausage slices and brown on both sides, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage and drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 1.5 Tbsp. of sausage drippings from Dutch oven. Add onion; cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and potatoes; reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes start to soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and deglaze pot, scraping any brown bits on bottom of pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender enough to mash. Use potato masher to mash a few potatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender enough to mash. Use potato masher to mash a few potatoes. Add sausage, kale or chard, and beans.
- Simmer, partially covered, about 6 minutes, or until kale softens. Add salt and black pepper to taste and dried red chile pepper flakes if using. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a pinch of parsley.