How to Make Vegan Sushi
Love sushi but considering converting to a plant-based lifestyle? Sushi isn’t just reserved for meat eaters. Don’t believe us? This vegetable-based sushi is the perfect answer. With fresh ingredients full of colors, textures and a world of flavors, creating your own sushi rolls using your favorite veggies is a no-brainer! For maximum success, check out a few of our tips and tricks here for how to make vegan sushi:
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the sushi mat before adding the nori, etc. This makes rolling easier and keeps ingredients from falling through the cracks
- Use quinoa instead of rice – red gives your roll a nice hue.
- Use a thin slice of roasted pepper tied with a strip of scallion for a faux fish look.
- Think of your sushi mat covered in rice/quinoa as a blank canvas for any ingredient and add-ons you like.
- Add a collard green or chard leaf (ribs removed) over the grain layer before embellishing for extra flavor and nutrients.
- Use beet juice to color white rice, and then combine with bright green and orange veggies for big pops of color.
- Now’s the time to indulge in your biggest avocado dreams. Avocado and Mini Cucumbers are the best friends of plant-based sushi home chefs.
- Garnish inside-out rolls with criss-crossed chives, or fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of black sesame seeds.
- Form a nori sheet into a cone, seal with water, then fill with whatever suits your style.
- Use flavored, roasted seaweed snack squares to build sushi stacks.
- Try some of these great ingredients in your concoctions: micro greens, steamed beets, roasted Brussels sprouts, shredded red cabbage, edamame hummus, watermelon radishes, finger limes, sautéed wild lobster mushrooms, Hawaiian-style tofu, nira grass, fresh mango, pineapple and dragon fruit.
- Include zesty sauces to enhance and garnish your sushi.
We’ve included some of our favorite sauce and garnish recipes below. Now that you know how to make vegan sushi, get your roll on!