There is nothing more delicious than perfect avocados, are we right? And who doesn’t love stuffed things? Once we got it together and stopped drooling started playing around with these delicious vessels, we came up with a great idea for a crowd-pleasing appetizer or an easy, healthy lunch: Citrus Salad Stuffed Avocado Cups. This recipe is super clean with absolutely no added sugar, minimal salt (none, if you prefer!), satisfying healthy fat, and loads of extra nutrients from the fennel and citrus. We’re confident that this dish will satisfy both vegans and omnivores alike, but if Dad’s upset about how healthy this really is, you didn’t get it from us.
Ever since we visited our new Organic Avocado farm in Azusa last month, we can’t stop thinking about these delicious fruits. We’re putting them on toast (who isn’t?), we’re making healthy mousses, we’re using them to garnish soups and tacos, and now they’re getting stuffed! And with citrus season in full swing, this recipe is a no-brainer for eating both seasonally and locally. We used Organic Navel Oranges for this recipe, but any sweet citrus would be beautiful here: Cocktail Grapefruit, Blood Oranges, Cara Caras, even Ojai Pixies. Rather than the specific variety, what’s most important about citrus in this dish is its bright flavor, subtle sweetness, and perfect amount of moisture. Even here in Southern California we’re dreaming of warmer days, and these Citrus Salad Stuffed Avocado Cups are sure to get us all through the long haul of winter!
Citrus Salad Stuffed Avocado Cups
- 6 ripe avocados halved lengthwise; seeds removed
- 2 limes 1 juiced, 1 zested and segmented
- 3 cups Arugula washed and spun dry
- 5 Organic Oranges divided, 2 zested; all 5 peeled and segmented
- 1 small bulb Fennel trimmed, diced small
- Melissa's Safari BBQ Spice Grinder to taste
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Drizzle the avocado halves with the lime juice. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the lime segments, the arugula, the orange segments and fennel. Mix well. Add the lime zest and the orange zest and season with the Safari BBQ Grinder. Toss to combine. Place equal parts of the mixture into the avocado halves. Drizzle with the balsamic and serve.