Irish Lentil Guinness Stew (Plant-Based)
Enjoy one of your favorite St. Patrick’s Day recipes with a plant-based twist.
Irish Lentil Stew
Hearty Irish Lentil Stew. Traditional Irish stew contains beef and potatoes, but we made a plant-based version that is just as delicious!
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 ea Melissa’s Perfect Sweet Onions rough chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 3 large Carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks Celery chopped small
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 lb. Melissa’s Dutch Yellow® Potatoes halved
- 22 oz. Guinness Beer
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Package Melissa’s Steamed Lentils
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Water
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic salt and pepper and caramelize to a semi-dark brown. Next add the carrots and celery and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except for the lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1/2 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the lentils and simmer for 3 minutes longer. Mix together the corn starch and water and stir into the stew. Simmer for 3 more minutes. Serve with some crusty bread.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1119mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6236IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg