Does anyone else live for a good salad, as much as we do? Its such a simple way to get in your favorite vegetables (and sometimes your fruits too!), while not breaking the bank nor your diet. Its no surprise that one of our favorite salads includes the season’s best tasting citrus. This Satsuma Tangerine Chicken Salad will knock your socks off! Originally developed in Japan in the province of Satsuma, the easy-to-peel Satsuma Tangerine has a characteristic loose, often bumpy, rind and is orange in color. Its delectably sweet pulp is sometimes slightly tart and is almost always seedless. The Satsuma is quite aromatic and less acidic than other mandarins. While Satsumas are delicious in stir-frys, stuffings, tarts, custards, and desserts, they make a killer topping for a salad.
Sweet and mild shredded Napa cabbage, crunchy bell peppers and crisp snow peas pair with blackened chicken strips to create a balanced salad that is as nutritious as it is delicious. This salad can be enjoyed year-round and any favorite mandarin can be used in place of the Satsumas. You want to be sure it is sweet and not too acidic for maximum enjoyment. No one wants to eat a boring salad and with this recipe, trust us, you don’t have to!
Satsuma Tangerine Chicken Salad
- 1 cup Sno Peas cleaned and blanched
- 2 cups Napa Cabbage shredded
- 1 cup Organic Bell Pepper julienne slice use Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Chicken Strips 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup Satsuma Tangerine peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Satsuma Tangerine juice reduce by half
- 1/2 cups Canola Oil
- 1 Serrano Chiles seeded
- Toss all items in a large bowl.
- Season with dressing and serve right away.
- In a blender add tangerine juice, serrano chile and blend on high speed for aobut 15 seconds.
- Slowly add in oil with the blender on high speed until oil is emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill in refrigerator and/or dress over salad.