Hear us out, garlicky long beans might sound boring, right? WRONG! Garlicky Long Beans are full of so much flavor and beyond easy to make. Plus, if it’s up to us, all you really need to amp up any recipe is garlic anyways.
If you aren’t sure what a Chinese Long Bean is, here they are! Long Beans are similar to green beans, with a slightly nutty, asparagus flavor, and they’re very easy to prepare. Just lay them out on a cutting board and chop down the line. These Garlicky Long Beans are right from our Lunar New Year Recipe Ebook, which you can get sent to your e-mail here.
Garlicky Long Beans
- 1 lb Chinese Long Beans
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water.
- In a large frying pan or wok with a lid, bring salted water to a boil.
- Add the beans and boil for three minutes.
- Pour the pot out into a sieve and immediately plunge the beans into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Allow to cool for two minutes, pull out the beans, and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Return the frying pan or wok to the stove.
- Add the vegetable oil and cloves of smashed garlic to the pan and then turn the heat to high.
- Swirl the garlic around the pan in the oil.
- Once the garlic becomes fragrant, or about 1 minute, remove the whole cloves from the pan and add the beans.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the beans start to turn golden-brown.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.Serve immediately.