From south of the border comes this spicy and hearty soup ladled over crisp tortilla strips and grated cheddar. Kicked-up with New Mexico’s prized Hatch chile, this soup is packed with flavor and is very satisfying.
Make a single batch to feed your family for dinner or double it and freeze it for a quick and easy freezer meal in the future.
Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 Melissa's Perfect Sweet Onion diced small
- 3 cloves Melissa's Peeled Garlic minced
- 2 Carrots ends trimmed; chopped
- 2 ribs Celery ends trimmed; chopped
- 4 Boneless skineless chicken breast chopped
- 1 cup Your favorite red chile sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can Stewed tomatoes
- 2 Roasted Green Hatch Peppers peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper stem and seeds removed, diced
- 8 cups Chicken stock/broth
- 1 (3 oz) package Melissa's Dry Roasted Sweet Corn
- 2 tsp Dried Mexican Oregano
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili Pepper
- 1/3 cup Sherry
- 1 Lime
- Shredded Cheese for garnish
- Ripe Avocado for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and caramelize the onion. Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken. Stir in the chile sauce.
- Next add the tomatoes and the next 8 ingredients. Gently stir and bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the juice from the lime.
- To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish with fresh fried tortilla strips (optional), cheese and avocado.
PIN THIS POST!