From south of the border comes this spicy and hearty soup ladled over crisp tortilla strips and grated cheddar. Kicked-up with New Mexico’s prized Hatch chile, this soup is packed with flavor and is very satisfying.
Make a single batch to feed your family for dinner or double it and freeze it for a quick and easy freezer meal in the future.
Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup
This easy tortilla soup recipe is hearty and satisfying, with a kick of spice from the famous Hatch Chile. Try it as a warming weekday dinner
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 Melissa's Perfect Sweet Onion (diced small)
- 3 cloves Melissa's Peeled Garlic (minced)
- 2 Carrots (ends trimmed; chopped)
- 2 ribs Celery (ends trimmed; chopped)
- 4 Boneless skineless chicken breast (chopped)
- 1 cup Your favorite red chile sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can Stewed tomatoes
- 2 Roasted Green Hatch Peppers (peeled, seeded, chopped)
- 1 Green bell pepper (stem and seeds removed, diced)
- 8 cups Chicken stock/broth
- 1 (3 oz) package Melissa's Dry Roasted Sweet Corn
- 2 tsp Dried Mexican Oregano
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili Pepper
- 1/3 cup Sherry
- 1 Lime
- Shredded Cheese (for garnish)
- Ripe Avocado (for garnish)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and caramelize the onion. Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken. Stir in the chile sauce.
Next add the tomatoes and the next 8 ingredients. Gently stir and bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the juice from the lime.
To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish with fresh fried tortilla strips (optional), cheese and avocado.
PIN THIS POST!