In search of a beautiful, unique, and delicious appetizer to whip up for a special event or even just because? Then you’ve found the perfect recipe! This roasted enjoya pepper roulade is perfect during this transition of winter to spring, filled with flavorful roasted vegetables drizzled with a balsamic glaze.
We know what you’re probably thinking – what is a roulade? It is basically a base of choice, in this recipe we chose the stunning enjoya peppers. The enjoya pepper (base) is then filled with other ingredients and rolled (hence ‘roulade’) into a tube-like shape. Then sliced to display all the delicious ingredients swirled into the rolled base. Roulades can be used in a variety of ways, made sweet or savory. They often use meat as a base, but for this recipe we use the beautiful red, orange, yellow coloring of the enjoya peppers to really make this recipe pop!
Enjoya peppers are the kind of bell peppers you want to add to a dish or platter that you really want to grab attention, like this roasted enjoya pepper roulade. Obviously beautiful on the outside, they also carry many attributes that make them just as great on the inside. They are thick, meaty and dense making them a terrific bell pepper for grilling or stuffing (delicious recipe here). Enjoya peppers pack a little nutritional punch too, being a good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene and potassium. Making this roulade, a traditionally non-health conscious meal, a little bit better for you and a whole lot prettier!
Roasted Enjoya Pepper Roulade
- 4 Melissa's Enjoya Peppers
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 8 Asparagus Spears end trimmed; blanched; halved
- 4 fresh crimini mushrooms sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- balsamic reduction or glaze
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF
- Place the Enjoya peppers directly on the stove burners and char on all sides. Once charred, place them in a plastic bag and sweat them until cool. Peel them and remove the top, bottom and seeds.
- Slice them on one side, from top to bottom, so that they lay flat, with the inside of the pepper facing up.
- To assemble, lay one slice of mozzarella on the pepper. Top that with 2 pieces of asparagus, some mushroom and a basil leaf. Season with salt and pepper and roll up. Secure it with a toothpick. Repeat for the remaining peppers.
- Place the roulades on a foil lined cooking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray and place them in the preheated oven. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Place the roulades on serving plates, drizzle with the balsamic and serve. Makes 4 appetizers.