Spicy Asian Slaw Salad
Have you ever heard of cruciferous vegetables? Some vegetables that make up this category include bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts and many more! The name cruciferous comes from the latin word, crucifix, because the blossoms of the plants resemble a cross. Interesting fun fact, huh? This group of vegetables are all diverse and unique with strong flavors. Nutritionally, they’re good for you; rich in folate, vitamins C, E and K, and a good source of fiber. The best part is they’re low in calories too! The reason for all these fun facts is this delicious spicy Asian slaw salad recipe is made up of bok choy and napa cabbage (both cruciferous vegetables). Bok choy and napa cabbage are both a part of our Asian essentials line, and are extremely flavorful and delicious!
Other vegetables used in this delightfully refreshing spicy Asian slaw salad are organic shelled edamame, perfect sweet onions, red bell peppers, serrano chiles, carrots and organic ginger. This mix of vegetables makes for the perfect side slaw salad, topping on a dish, or make it a meal size portion and add a little protein on top such as tofu! The serrano chiles add a little heat to the dish for our spice lovers out there. If you don’t prefer spice, then you could leave them out or substitute with a lower heat chile. The flavor profile of the spicy Asian slaw salad is fantastic, not to mention the beauty of colors that bring that extra pop to the table!
Spicy Asian Slaw Salad
- 16 ounces melissa's napa cabbage shredded
- 8 ounces melissa's baby bok choy leaves shredded
- 1 package melissa's organic shelled edamame
- 1/2 Melissa's Perfect Sweet Onion sliced very thin
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1 serrano chile minced
- fresh cilantro chopped; to taste
- 1 tablespoon melissa's fresh organic ginger minced
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 splash sesame oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the napa cabbage and the next 8 ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar and the rest of the ingredients
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the cabbage bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour to let the flavors meld and serve.