In need of an epic weeknight dinner that’s both delicious and healthy? Then you’ve come to the right place. If you’ve ever had a bell pepper egg-in-a-hole, that’s basically the name of the game here. Although these Stuffed Enjoya Peppers look like they belong in the breakfast category, they’re actually perfect for anytime of the day. No matter when you serve them, these meaty, low-carb morsels look and taste just like party time.
The best thing about stuffed peppers is you can fill them with anything you like. From different meats to grains to cheeses, the sky is the limit. These Stuffed Enjoya Peppers combine delicious Italian ground sausage, mushrooms and Melissa’s Cooked Quinoa. Our version is already conveniently pre-cooked and ready to use for any occasion. Protein and fiber-rich quinoa adds a delightfully nutty flavor and chewy texture to this dish. However, the fun doesn’t quite stop there. Each stuffed pepper comes with its own egg on top, which bakes in the oven sunny side up-style. Finish it off with your favorite marinara sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
The first thing you’ll notice about Enjoya Peppers are their gorgeous, vibrant coloring. Rosy red flames splashed over a canary yellow background, this beautiful variety resemble a Gala apple more than a bell pepper! As much as they look like a work of art, they are so much more than just their appearance. This pepper is heavier and denser than other peppers with thick walls and a distinct crunchy texture. Enjoyas also have a pleasant sweetness to them. You’ll can best showcase their beauty by roasting them whole. In addition, you can cut them into long strips and serve with a vegetable platter and dip.
Enjoya peppers make the perfect vessel for this healthy, protein-packed recipe. A delightful take on basic stuffed peppers, this recipe is the kind of comfort food that you’ll want to make throughout the year.
Stuffed Enjoya Peppers
- 3 Melissa's Enjoya Peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Melissa's Perfect Sweet Onion diced small
- 1 (8 oz.) package sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cloves Melissa's Peeled Garlic minced
- kosher salt and freshly gound pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound ground italian sausage (chef's recommendation: mix spicy and sweet sausage)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chub Melissa's Cooked Quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite marinara sauce
- shredded parmesan cheese to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cut the Enjoya Peppers in half, from top to bottom. Remove the inner seeds but leave the stems intact and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and sweat the onions. Add the mushrooms and garlic, season with the salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the sausage and the next 5 Ingredients (crumbling the quinoa into the pan), stir and sauté until most of the liquid evaporates but mixture is not dry.
- Spray an oven-safe baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Fill the pepper halves with the sausage/quinoa mixture. Create a well in the filling of each pepper for the egg to rest later. Place the pepper halves into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and crack 1 egg into each pepper filling “well.” Return them to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the egg whites are set.
- Meanwhile, heat the marinara sauce in a sauce pot on the stove.
- When the peppers are done, place them on serving plates, drizzle them with the hot marinara and sprinkle with the shredded parmesan cheese.