Citrus Season means…Meyer Lemons Bars! December is here and we’re reveling in the fact that all things citrus is front and center. Lemons, oranges, grapefruits…you get the idea! And, because this time of year is the perfect time to bake (although, is there ever a bad time to bake?), we’re really owning up to the season and the holidays! We’ve created a tangy, sweet treat that calls for macadamia nuts, flaked coconut, sugar and lots of Meyer Lemon juice!
You might be wondering why this recipe called for a specific lemon, Meyer Lemons, instead of regular lemons. Well, Meyer Lemons are one-of-a-kind and simply unique! These beauts have low acidity, just the right amount of sweetness and are significantly less tart than other lemon variations. The mixture of sweet juice, tangy zest, tender skin and a unique flavor is what separates them from the rest! Not to mention they’re super juicy which gives so much extract for your next recipe!
Who’s so excited to start baking, making and cooking with Meyer Lemons?
To buy the seasons best lemons (yes, we said it! They’re the best!), click here (Meyer Lemons)
Bought a bunch of Meyer Lemons and don’t want them to go bad? Here’s seven ways to use a whole citrus fruit for zero waste!
Want more Meyer Lemon Baking inspiration? These Lemon-Walnut Cookies are next level!
Now, let’s to get baking these luscious Meyer Lemon Bars!
Meyer Lemon Bars
- Food Processor
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts toasted and finely ground
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into cubes
For the Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Meyer Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 2 quart baking dish with parchment paper allowing an overhang for easy removal. Spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Pulse crust ingredients together in a food processor until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Press crust mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Bake crust for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in coconut flakes. Pour filling over prepared crust. Bake for 30 minutes until filling is fully set and the edges are golden brown.
- Allow bars to cool completely. Lift from pan using the parchment paper. Slice into 12 squares and dust with confectioners sugar before serving.